“I still remember the day when as a kid we backpacked into a remote lake where my scoutmaster cooked trout and potatoes for us to try. I thought, "Wow, this fish tastes great and I didn't have to carry it all the way up here!" I was hooked on that idea!”
“Like most things worth doing there was a learning curve both with the catching of the trout and the challenges that cooking the fish presented. I remember my scoutmaster fashioning homemade handles onto cake pans and such: testing new ideas to cook the meal even better. I followed in his footsteps, literally and figuratively. Over the years I also tried a lot of different concepts. I wanted something simple, lightweight, compact and versatile enough to cook anything (as well as boil water for my coffee). I tried a bunch of different frypans and methods to cover them. At first I just used foil, but found that cumbersome and unreliable. I tried a hard cover and realized that I could add hot coals on top to bake or roast... The Ultra Cook Kit was born! I knew I was onto something special and wanted every component optimized for maximum efficiency and performance.” -Steve
The Ultra Cook Kit comes with everything you need in a convenient compact system, everything nests perfectly and comes in an abrasion resistant 500 wt. nylon case. Much more useful than traditional camping cook kits. Use it as a Dutch Oven, it's a pro quality sauté pan and the pie pan makes a great plate!
Firebox Frying Pan: Ultra Versatile, Lightweight, Durable & Can Be Seasoned! Yes, Just Like Cast Iron! I've been interested in alternatives to non-stick coatings and I love my cast iron cookware... well other than it's too darn heavy. Hard anodized aluminum makes perfect sense, It conducts heat extremely well. It's very abrasion resistant and its microstructure is perfect to accept a seasoning (see instructions below)!
Pan/Pot Lifter: No more turning the pan to avoid burning the handle, our Firebox Frying Pan doesn't have one. Rather than a heavy folding handle I designed a universal light weight handle/pan gripper that works with the pie pan and sauté pan not to mention your other pots, pans and stainless steel water bottles! Our Long Pan Lifter is included with the Firebox Frying Pan and the extra length is great for cooking over a wood fire. The Regular Pan Lifter version can be selected for a savings of $3. (Pan lifter may leave minor marks which do not affect performance.)
Pinnacle Frying Pan: This premium Frying Pan offers the ultimate in cooking performance, non-stick resilience and durability. The Pinnacle has a removable folding steel handle as well. This ultra-rugged pan's exclusive Teflon with Radiance technology non-stick coating enhances heat distribution and reduces hotspots while its three layer coating resists scratches and abrasions. If a grab and go pan is more your style you will appreciate our Pinnacle Frying Pan.
Weight of Kit: 1 lb. 12 oz.
Inside height with Deep Cowboy Plate on Frying Pan: 3 1/2”
HOW TO SEASON HARD ANODIZED ALUMINUM (Firebox Frying Pan):
Seasoning Instructions: (also available on Youtube - Search “Firebox Fry Pan Seasoning”
1. REMOVE THE STICKY DOT. WARM UP YOUR PAN, THEN SLOWLY PULL. IF YOUR PAN IS WARM ENOUGH AND YOU PULL SLOWLY ENOUGH, IT SHOULD COME OFF CLEANLY IN ONE PIECE.
2. WASH YOUR PAN WITH SOAP AND HOT WATER. TOWEL DRY.
3. PLACE PAN OR PANS IN THE OVEN OR BACKYARD BBQ GRILL (WITH THERMOMETER) IF YOU WANT THE SMOKE OUTSIDE AND PREHEAT TO 500 DEGREES FAHRENHEIT. THIS WILL BURN OFF THE FOOD GRADE SILICONE SEALANT WHICH WAS APPLIED TO THE PAN AT THE FACTORY.
4. WHEN YOUR OVEN AND PAN HAS REACHED 500 DEGREES FAHRENHEIT, REMOVE YOUR PAN AND CAREFULLY (USE TONGS TO HOLD A CRUMPLED PAPER TOWEL) APPLY THE FIRST COAT OF OIL. FOOD GRADE NON LIGNAN FLAX OIL IS BEST (GENERALLY FOUND AT HEALTH FOOD STORES) HOWEVER, ANY FOOD GRADE FAT WILL WORK (MOST PEOPLE USE CANOLA OR VEGETABLE OIL). SPREAD IT ON LIBERALLY WITH A SATURATED PAPER TOWEL, THEN WIPE IT BACK OFF WITH A DRY PAPER TOWEL. WIPE OFF ALL THE WET, SHINY OIL UNTIL YOU'RE LEFT WITH A MOSTLY DRY LOOKING SATIN FINISH. (THIS WILL SMOKE QUITE A BIT SO TURN ON YOUR VENT FAN AND OR OPEN THE WINDOWS)
5. PLACE YOUR PAN IN THE 500F OVEN FOR 30 MINUTES, THEN TAKE IT OUT, (LOOK CLOSELY AT THE SEASONING LAYER AND YOU WILL SEE A PATTERN. MOST OILS BEAD UP INTO DOTS. FLAX OIL LAYS FLAT IN A BARK LIKE PATTERN) APPLY ANOTHER COAT OF OIL USING THE SAME WIPE ON, WIPE OFF TECHNIQUE PREVIOUSLY DESCRIBED. REPEAT FOR AT LEAST THREE COATS. THE MORE COATS THE BETTER, I WOULDN'T DO MORE THAN SIX. THIS BUILDS A POLYMER LAYER
6. LET THE FINAL COAT COOK FOR A FULL HOUR AT 500F. THIS HARDENS AND STRENGTHENS YOUR POLYMER LAYER.
NOTE: Seasoning continues with use, I recommend using a non stick canola cooking spray until your seasoning has fully developed.
Non stick sprays contain lecithin, which helps the oil get deep into the pores. It also burns easily so I recommend spraying it on then wiping it back off (to avoid a burnt popcorn flavor) prior to adding your preferred cooking oil or fat. When you're finished cooking, wipe your pan of excess oil and bring the heat up until it starts to smoke at which point turn off the heat and allow to cool slowly.
1. Contrary to popular belief, your season layer can be scratched so avoid abrasive scrubbers and use non scratching utensils. The good news is that scratches aren't the end of the world; small scratches get filled in with newly polymerized oils with use.
2. Firebox Pans conduct heat extremely well, so you'll notice that less heat is needed so start low and work your way up slowly until you get a feel for the improved cooking performance.
3. Don't walk away when preheating, these pans heat up fast so don't risk overheating an empty pan.
4. Always respect hot surfaces and use caution. Do not attempt to rapidly cool your frypan.
5. Don't walk away when preheating, these pans heat up fast so don't risk overheating an empty pan.
DISCLAIMER: INHERENT TO THE MANUFACTURING PROCESS, THERE ARE UNAVOIDABLE COSMETIC MARKS ON THE RIM (OUTSIDE EDGE) OF THE FRYPAN. THIS DOES NOT AFFECT USAGE OR LONG TERM DURABILITY AND WE FEEL IT IS WORTH IT TO HAVE THE HARD ANODIZING FINISH INSIDE AND OUT.
THESE PRODUCTS ARE NOT DISHWASHER SAFE - HAND WASH ONLY.
Made in PRC