1/4 lb. Sausage or Hamburger
1 tbsp. Flour
Spices of Choice
1/2 - 2/3 C. Milk
This involves a little preparation at home before your trip or you can make it at camp the same day.
1. Cook the sausage or ground beef at home. Just before the meat has finished browning in a skillet on stove top, sprinkle in flour right on to the meat. Start with about a healthy tablespoon per quarter pound of meat. Then incorporate the flour evenly and keep it moving.
2. Add salt, pepper or other spice in to mixture. Meat should be evenly coated and whatever fat left in the pan should get absorbed (pour off excess fat before the flour is added).
3. Finish the browning process. What you get is the cooked meat coated with the properly browned rue and no oil or moisture left in the pan... a fairly dry product.
4. Let this cool and then vacuum seal in a Food-saver bag. You can generally do a third cup per bag (estimation of a single serving).
5. To cook, open the bag (or bags) and heat in a skillet. Once it gets hot add about one-half to two-thirds cups of warmed milk for each bag.
6. For the biscuits use Bisquick mix or bring frozen biscuits.
Submitted by: Keith O.