- Product Code: Pizza
- Availability: In Stock
Homemade pizza is a campers dream! You can easily make your own pizza in the frypan kit.
- Dough: homemade or frozen from the grocery store
- Sauce : we use whatever pasta sauce we have on hand
- Mozzarella cheese: grated or fresh
- Toppings: Pepperoni, garlic, olives, fresh basil etc. Whatever you like on your pie. So many pizza possibilities!
- Suggested seasonings: salt, pepper, garlic salt
For the crust you can either use our bread dough recipe ( found in the baking section ) or buy some pre-made frozen dough. We put the frozen dough (either rolls or bread loaves) into the cooler in a gallon ziploc bag when leaving on our trip. Take it out rise for a while before it's needed for the meal. This can take an hour or a couple of hours depending on how frozen the dough still is. Let it double its original size.
1. Add a little bit of oil to the fry pan, then stretch out the dough and cover the bottom of the pan.
2. Coat crust with tomato sauce. Add cheese, toppings and seasoning as desired.
3. Take the pie tin and turn it over on the fry pan, covering the pizza and creating your own pizza oven.
4. The challenge with cooking the pizza is keeping your heat low below and as hot as you can on top. Take your hottest coals from the stove with tongs and place them on top of the pie tin (a pocket bellows is a very handy tool for keeping these coals stoked)
5. Bake from 10-20 minutes checking on the bottom of the crust every five minutes by lifting with a spatula, until the crust is golden brown on the bottom. If the bottom gets done before the top just remove the pan from the stove and let the top continue to bake.
6. Remove from pan, slide onto cutting board, slice and enjoy!